These go to tips will help your home sell faster when listing your home in a competitive market!
Step 1: Clean and declutter
It may sound obvious, but the importance of cleaning and decluttering cannot be overstated. Here are some ideas to make this process nearly painless.
- Eliminate clutter before cleaning: This is the time to purge your house of unwanted and unnecessary items. In addition to donating items to charity, consider giving them away through Craigslist or neighborhood sharing groups. Recyclers are often willing to pick up and haul away large metal items for free.
- Deep clean your house: This step will probably involve the biggest time investment. Get the whole family involved if you can! Think of this as a pumped-up spring cleaning. Pay special attention to kitchens and bathrooms, and clean the inside and outside of your windows — this makes a striking improvement in the overall appearance of your house.
- Organize closets, cabinets and drawers: In this case, out of sight is not out of mind. Many potential buyers will open cabinets and closets, because they are thinking about storage space. Clean and organized storage areas signal to buyers that you take care of the house.
Step 2: Make small repairs
Take care of small repairs before you show the house for the first time. These are all fixes that you can easily do yourself, or have someone assist you with:
- Fix any leaking faucets and running toilets.
- Replace caulking around tubs, showers and sinks.
- Freshen up or repair grout as needed.
- Repair walls and repaint them in an attractive but neutral color.
- Fix cracked or broken windows.
- Replace or repair damaged window screens.
- Replace burned-out lightbulbs.
Step 3: Start with outer look.
You want potential buyers to be charmed by the outside of your house so they look forward to coming inside.
- Trim bushes, shrubs and trees. Make sure vegetation isn’t touching your roof or siding.
- Repair broken downspouts and gutters.
- If it’s appropriate for your yard, apply new mulch, river rock and/or pea gravel. This can do wonders for your landscaping and provide immediate curb appeal.
- Clean and repair concrete areas, such as driveways and walkways. Eliminate any oil or grease stains, and clean out any weeds coming up through the cracks.
- If it’s seasonally appropriate, put out some pots of annuals, which will maintain their color for the season. Freshen up your doorstep with a new welcome mat and make sure the house numbers are easy to see.
With just a moderate amount of effort, you can make your house beautiful and welcoming, both inside and out.